I recently starting using a Mac laptop again for the first time in almost 6 years, and the stark contrast between the two major OSes was made all the more clear to me. Little things about macOS I never noticed before my long stint with windows practically jumped out at me.
One such glaring oversight that seemed to be unforgivable is the fact that macOS doesn’t currently have a good built in window switcher. If you hold CMD (command) + Tab, you will get an application switcher, but it does not switch between active windows of the same program. This limitation is hard to form a habit around, as I found myself frequently attempted to CMD + Tab to another Firefox window, or another instance of a Finder window I had open. However, I found a nifty application that can bring that behavior to macOS, and I highly recommend you try it out. If you build the fast switching window shortcut into your daily routine, it will help maximize your productivity.
Here’s how to get it:
You can also get it through brew, in which case I will assume you don’t need further instructions.
- Download Alt-Tab from here OR the link above (same link)
- Drag it to your /Applications folder by clicking Finder > Applications on sidebar & drag+dropping into the window
- Double click to launch
- Click the Controls tab
- Make sure shortcut 1 is highlighted
- Change the shortcut to your desired keys by clicking the keys in the line “Hold [KEY] and press: [KEY] Select next window”
- I highly recommend using CMD + Tab for the average user
- Now, close the window, don’t quit it.
- Test! You should be able to switch between applications and their windows with a nice, graphical interface upon pressing CMD + Tab. If you want to switch to the last used application then press CMD + Tab ONCE, meaning if you press CMD + Tab and release, you will continue to switch between your recently used applications. This is a great trick for copying down information, or quickly referencing another window while completing the current task.
It helps me if you share this post with anyone who might be interested.
Quick Links to My Stuff
Published 2021-10-09 09:20:15